Monday, January 18, 2010

Motivated into Action

Today I received an email from someone I very much respect and admire. This email conveyed a very empowering message ~ as well as a complimentary motivational video clip from a world renowned motivational speaker. :)

After I absorbed every word of the email, I clicked the link to watch the clip. All 35 minutes of it. I made handwritten, as well as mental notes and am now inspired to improve my life.

So, here I sit, anticipating starting my new year as a new me. Envisioning the changes I wish to see in myself, my bank account and my relationships.
That, my dear reader, is a LOT of change.

Now, to be fair, the message I received today was to pick ONE area of my life that I would like to see improve. Problem is that choosing only one area is an extremely difficult thing for me to do.

How does one prioritize these areas of your life?

Is one aspect truly more important than the other?

I suppose the answer to that is different for every person. For me, they all go together. Much like a clown fish and his anemone. Symbiosis, if you will.

In my mind, in order to truly live a fulfilling, meaningful and successful life I need to make improvements in ALL areas. And that is where my current quandary begins.

I need to make some changes within myself. I need to be more physically fit and happy with my 'outer being' in order to feel self-confident. I need to be less stressed out and more patient. I need to be physically active and eat healthy foods on a regular basis in order to set a good example of health for my daughters to emulate into adulthood.

I long for a more passionate relationship with my husband. You know, that tickle in your tummy when he walks into the room or the flutter of your heart when he looks at you kind of passion? I want that back. It shows up every now and again...but I want it here all of the time. Each and every day.

I also desire a rock solid, trusted and valued relationship with each of my daughters. In order to facilitate that, I must become a more patient, less judgmental person.
As much as it pains me, I must allow my girls to experience hurt & failure without jumping to their defense/rescue. Its important that I be the parent who successfully prepared my children to set out into the world on their own. I must realize that I am helping them learn by allowing them to experience successes, set backs and failures. These life lessons, in turn, will mold them into the wonderful, caring, thoughtful and sincere individuals they are destined to become. All the while knowing that I am here for them should they ever need me. Always in their corner, always loving them.

Financially, well, lets just say I need to make some changes there, too.
I've got to re-train myself to think more 'long term'. I've fallen into a trap where I explain buying things or taking trips I probably shouldn't as "You can't count on tomorrow" and "You must live for the day". Probably because there has been so much loss in my life over the past couple of years. But is that really a good philosophy? Am I selling myself short here? I mean, do I really think the odds are stacked against me so much that I could be dead tomorrow? No. I don't. At least, I pray not.

So, instead I must prepare for a successful financial future. Not just for myself, but for my family. I mean, what of college? I would like to think some scholarships are in my daughters' future...but odds are not in my favor that they will be 'full ride' scholarships. Then there are the weddings. Two daughters...two weddings. I do not want to tell either of my girls that I can't afford her 'big day' to be just as she always dreamed it would be. (probably because I was married in a court house and never had my dream wedding. Or honeymoon, for that matter!).

So...onward and upward. Now I must think more like "Save for a rainy day" or "Your wealth can only grow to the extent that you do!".

And now, here comes the feeling of being overwhelmed. So much to do and so little time to get it done. Or is that truly the case? And, back to my earlier question, "How does one prioritize these areas of life"?

I suppose the best way to choose the area to work on first would be to ascertain which area will have a broader 'trickle down effect' into the other areas that need improvement.

Indeed, this is how I've concluded I will work on myself first and the rest will fall into place. I know from experience that I'm a happier, more confident & more patient person when I exercise on a regular basis. (Plus, my jeans fit better and that's ALWAYS a good thing!!). I've let an injury ~ and the fear that came with it ~ stop me from exercising all together. Today, that stops. I will be stronger than the fear and exercise within my physical limitations. I will accept that I cannot do all that I once did, but I will work toward being where I once was. Furthermore, by getting back into a daily exercise routine, I'll be setting a healthy example for my daughters. And, if all goes well, I will inspire my husband to exercise with me. Thereby fostering more "couple time" and hopefully sparks of passion along the way. ;) Financially its safe to assume I'll save money on groceries since I'm generally less inclined to buy the processed, sugary, 'terrible for your body' foods when I'm working so hard at being fit.


There. It's done. The choice has been made. Now to get moving!

1 comment:

  1. Wow,I wanted to start this last Jan. But almost a whole year later and Im still sittin here with this injury letting it get the best of me. I said to myself yesterday....I may not be able to walk 4 miles anymore but darn it I can start at 1. One mile a day is better than the none I've been doing. Thanks for the inspiration. No more excuses! Crippled or not.......Im walkin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog's....please take a moment to share how my blog made you feel...did you smile? Cry? Laugh? Get inspired?