Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The gift of Magic

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!
It's always been my favorite holiday. I love the lights, the music, the decorations - all of it. I enjoy the hustle bustle, the last minute gift wrapping and the God awful holiday sweaters. I put antlers and a red nose on my truck. My girls loved this when I did it the first time - they were 6 & 7 - now they're 11 & 10 and they aren't such fans of the reindeer costume.
In fact, its a source of embarrassment for my eldest. But - it's Christmas!
Many people stop and wave at my truck! They love it. It brings smiles to faces and that is something that really makes me happy. With very little effort on my part - I am spreading Christmas cheer.

Some of my fondest memories of Christmas were made at my grandparents house when I was a little girl. The whistling train circling the well lit tree, my grandfather making his 'famous' homemade eggnog - YUM! and my grandma making sure we all had a least one piece of homemade fudge and a few of her wonderful cut out sugar cookies. OH! Such deliciousness! And the VERY best part....the anticipation of what Santa would bring.

Now, my best memories are those of my children. I love experiencing their anticipation. The giddy conversations about what they're asking for...their hushed little voices as they try to plan a surprise gift for daddy & me. Their creativity when we decorate cookies and the little skits they like to put on during Christmas break. Mostly, just the glimmer in their eyes when they see the gifts under the tree on Christmas morning.

I struggled when the time came to tell my girls the truth about Santa. I was actually afraid to have the conversation because I didn't want it to come out wrong. I was ashamed that I had 'lied'. Then, it hit me. I didn't lie, per se. Yes, I let them believe that a magical, saintly man would visit our home ~ as well as millions of others ~ in just one night. That he would leave a plethora of gifts for all the good little boys and girls. And yes, I encouraged them to leave him cookies & milk for the journey - even carrots for Rudolph and the other reindeer.

We wrote this man a letter each year and watched telelvision (and the internet) to try and track his sleigh on Christmas eve night....we even went to bed early, knowing if we stayed awake he would have to skip our home. But the truth of the matter is that had I not 'lied' to my girls about this amazing man called Santa....I would not have been able to give them the very best gifts of all.
The gift of Magic.
The gift of Believing in something (someone) so magical, exciting, mysterious,
wonderful and kind.
The gift of Anticipation.


I know that after I learned about Santa, my Christmases were never quite the same.
(I also know that the little brat girl down the street who told me the truth ruined a good thing for me.)
I am glad my girls didn't have to find out from someone else.
And now that both of my girls know the truth, they've told me that Christmas isn't as exciting as it used to be. That's the sad part. Although, on a brighter note, I do believe they are more appreciative of the gifts they receive....and how lucky for them to be on a first name basis with the old guy....;)

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog's....please take a moment to share how my blog made you feel...did you smile? Cry? Laugh? Get inspired?